For those of you that are unaware, Governor Hickenlooper declared July as Smart Irrigation Month in Colorado and because July is the hottest month it’s extremely important to be smart when it comes to using water in your landscape so that you are able to conserve as much as possible. One of the many ways to do so is by investing in a smart sprinkler system that features a timer. In order to make your sprinkler system smart, you should know that..
- “Smart” timers or controllers are the brains behind water conservation that use data and technology to apply water in landscapes only when it’s needed.
- The devices will pay for themselves over time and faster it will happen faster if there’s a rebate program in your municipality to reward you for your effort.
- If you are techno-savvy enough to use a smart phone or an iPad you can manage the devices, and if you aren’t you can have an expert monitor it for you via the Internet.
- The evapotranspiration (ET) variety of timers uses real weather data to manage water in your yard in deciding how much water your system puts out.
- Check out all the moving parts of your sprinkler system and replace them if they’re wasting water. (ALCC)